ABOUT OPERATION SMILE
PPA Charities' Charitable Partner
For as little as $240 Operation Smile can change
a child's life by giving the gift of surgery.
▪ Operation Smile, headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia, is a worldwide children's medical charity. In 1982, Operation Smile was founded by Dr. William P. Magee Jr., a plastic surgeon, and his wife, Kathleen S. Magee, a nurse and clinical social worker. ▪ Operation Smile was launched with its first mission to the Philippines in 1982. Operation Smile currently supports international and local, in-country medical missions to 26 countries.
▪ Operation Smile partner countries include: Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gaza Strip/West Bank, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Morocco, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Russia, South Africa, Thailand, Venezuela, and Vietnam.
▪ Since 1982, more than 150,000 children and young adults have been treated by thousands of volunteers worldwide and thousands of healthcare professionals have been trained globally.
▪ For as little as $240 Operation Smile can change a child's life by giving the gift of a surgery. Revenue in excess of surgical costs is invested into our sustainability programs, empowering our partner countries to treat more children on their own and making your investment go even farther. The complete Operation Smile model is an investment of $750 per child. In as little as 45 minutes, one cleft lip surgery can change a child's life forever.
▪ Operation Smile integrates its partnerships with leading medical teaching institutions into its in-country medical education programs. Our partners in education include Yale University, Chang Gung Hospital and University (Taiwan), Duke University and the University of Southern California.
▪ Thousands of students in more than 500 Operation Smile Student Associations in the United States and around the world build awareness, raise funds and educate students about values of commitment, leadership and volunteerism.
▪ Operation Smile has worldwide offices in Hong Kong, London, Dublin, Brisbane, Rome, Los Angeles, and New York City that raise funds and awareness to support international programs.
▪ The annual Operation Smile Physicians' Training Program (PTP) brings doctors and nurses from around the world to the United States for advanced training in their specialized skills. Since 1987, more than 700 health care professionals have attended the program, held at our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
▪ The World Care Program brings children and young adults, through sponsorships, to the United States for surgeries that are too complicated to be performed during in-country missions. Since 1985, more than 200 World Care patients have received life-changing surgery.
To learn much more about Operation Smile, log on to www.operationsmile.org
See videos of Operation Smile at work around the world by clicking here.